One of the biggest benefits of a VPN is the ability to connect with servers around the world. This allows you to appear as a native member of that country.
Many VPNs will have dozens of servers around the world that their users can explore. Keep reading to learn which ones you should use.
This is one of the most popular VPN locations for those who like to torrent. One of the biggest features is their strong privacy protection laws. These are enshrined in the constitution. Because of this, there are strict laws that govern the way that your personal data can be used. VPNs are often not included in Switzerland’s data retention laws, so the government won’t be monitoring your activities.
Even better, the country isn’t a member of the EU or the 14 Eyes programs. Both of these would require them to collect and share data internationally. Without these agreements, you can be fairly certain that your browsing history will be secure.
The Swiss government has invested to create a high-quality internet system. Because of this, you will be able to get a strong connection and achieve decent speeds.
However, the biggest benefit is the way the law views torrenting of copyrighted information. The government has classed this as a victimless crime. Because of this, most torrents of copyrighted material will be legal. There are just two requirements you need to meet:
- The torrent must be for your personal use
- You must not be trying to profit from the copyrighted material.
One of the most popular VPN servers in the world belongs to Iceland. There are plenty of reasons why people choose to use this service. First, they have an excellent internet infrastructure. Around 99 percent of people in this country have access to the internet. The fibreoptic cables ensure that they have a quick connection.
However, one of the biggest reasons why Iceland attracts the attention of those looking to torrent is because the government is committed to upholding personal rights, especially online. Because of this, there are very few limitations on speech. According to Facebook, the government didn’t issue any takedown requests last year. They also respect people’s rights to freedom, with limited tracking of what you are doing online.
More importantly for those wanting to torrent, though, is the limited content restrictions. Using Iceland, you will be able to find most of the content that you would be looking for.
The only potential issues, though, occur when you want to access sites that are known for hosting copyrighted information. In court cases, the Icelandic government ordered ISPs to block access to these sites. This means that you won’t be able to torrent through services like Pirate Bay.
It should be noted that, technically, pornographic material is illegal in this country. Though this ban is rarely enforced.
If you are looking for a server that will protect your privacy, you might want to consider using a Malaysian server. Several principles make this type of protection so beneficial for users:
- Sites need to ask your permission. Before they can start storing your personal information, you will need to give your express permission to a site. They will also need to tell you how long they store that information for and what they intend to use it for.
- You can access your data. If you request, a site must provide you access to the private information that they have collected about you.
- Outside of 14 Eyes. The 14 Eyes is an international agreement that allows countries to share information. This allows them to use this information to track criminals and might extend to tracing to users of torrenting sites. You don’t need to worry about this when using a Malaysian VPN.
- No data outside the border. To make things even more secure, Malaysia doesn’t allow private data on its citizens to leave its borders.
Of course, there are a few downsides to using Malaysian servers. Sites that torrent copyrighted information is illegal. However, the government rarely enforces this. Though there were millions of breaches in 2019, no one has been charged.
Another country that is known for its excellent data protection laws is Panama. They require users to agree before a website will be able to start gathering their personal information. You will have the right to refuse to provide your data. All this information must be stored securely.
Under these laws, there is no need for internet services to store information on you. Because of this, the VPN service won’t need to take any logs. This is an extra layer of security and anonymity.
Like many of the other countries on this list, Panama isn’t part of the 14 Eyes, EU, or other international agreements that would force them to share your data internationally. Because they have long been a haven for VPN users who want a country that will respect their privacy.
Romania is rather relaxed about how they approach online piracy, with very few people charged for torrenting. If you are just downloading this material, rather than uploading it, Romanian authorities will likely leave you alone.
Unlike the other countries on this list, they are a part of the EU. This means that they will need to take part in data sharing. However, the Romanian government has repealed these laws, one of the only countries in the EU to do this.
But this doesn’t mean that you don’t need to take some precautions. As a member of the EU, they do need to take part in some information sharing. They need to allow some investigators to access these records. However, your VPN company won’t be required to keep a log. Because of these strong privacy laws, if you want to get access to European content, Romania is probably your best option.
This is one of the most popular VPN locations in the world. It’s a location that is known for its strong privacy laws. Freedom of speech and expression is strongly protected by the government. This extends to the internet. However, this has recently started to change. Most notoriously, the government has decided to implement a law known as Wet op de inlichtingen in 2017.
This is one of the most wide-ranging surveillance laws in the country’s history, which has caused a lot of controversy amongst the community. Some of the most controversial aspects include:
- The ability to hack smart technology
- Maintaining a database of the DNA of every citizen in the country
- Sharing this information with foreign countries
Despite this, there are some positives to those looking to use a Netherlands server for torrenting. The country still has relatively lax laws around the use of copyrighted materials. While this is technically illegal, it’s rare for the government to enforce these rules. Recently, though, groups have been blocking access to sites like Pirate Bay.
If you are caught torrenting in the Netherlands, you have a legal defense. You just need to show that the item in question was a “work of art”. The vagueness of this law leaves a lot of room for interpretation, though it often doesn’t apply to things like software.
7. San Marino
San Marino is a smaller country in the EU, located right next to Italy. But there are some reasons why you might want to consider using a VPN service that is based in this country.
The biggest advantage is that it is one of the few countries in the world that doesn’t have any copyright laws or protections. The other two countries are Eritrea and Turkmenistan. Because of this, there is no risk that you will face legal blowback from watching copyrighted torrents.
While San Marino is based in Europe, it isn’t part of the EU. Because of this, you don’t need to worry about your data being used to track your movements or trace what you are doing. Plus, it is a fairly safe and free country, with a strong right to free speech.
The only downside is that the internet infrastructure isn’t as advanced as some of the other European countries. Because of this, you might need to wait a little longer to get a response.
When it comes to copyright law, they have recently adopted a copyright law based on the ones available in the United States. This raises a lot of potential issues for those who are planning to torrent from sites like Pirate Bay.
If it is used like it is in the United States, though, it can have very serious impacts. In some cases, it might be used to suppress freedom of speech. In Mexico, the concept of fair use is still fairly limited. However, Mexico is known for having a fairly lax approach to implementing copyright laws. This is why they have become a haven for torrents internationally.
On a more positive, Mexico is known for its lack of censorship online. There is no evidence that the government has taken steps to block access to sites.
If you are looking for a country that will keep your personal data and browsing preferences private, you might want to use a VPN server in Spain. These laws will be similar to Malaysia. Organizations will be required to tell you what data they will be collecting and how long they intend to store it for.
They are also known for having a free internet system. There has been little evidence of the government stepping in and censoring the work of its citizens.
For a while, Spain has had lax copyright laws. If you were torrenting this kind of material, it was deemed to be a victimless crime. The only exception was individuals who were posting the materials, to make a profit from them. As long as you aren’t doing this, there is little chance that you will become a target of this government.
However, there are some signs that this is starting to change. New laws are being put in place to tighten the copyright laws. Some of the highlights of this bill include:
- Blocking access to sites. ISPs could be required to block or limit access to sites like Pirate Bay, which have become synonymous with illegal pirating activity.
- Better enforcement of existing rules. The government will likely seek to work with ISP to do this.
This is still a relatively new rule, so how it impacts those seeking to torrent through the Spanish servers remains to be seen.
In many cases, you will be able to torrent materials like copyrighted TV and movies. You just need to use it for your own personal use. However, this has a fairly narrow definition. You won’t be able to apply it to things like software or video games.
It should be noted that these rules haven’t stopped some Polish producers from launching legal action against people viewing their materials through torrent sites. Some people have even received cease and desist notices through their ISPs.
Hungary has some copyright laws in place. But they aren’t usually upheld. As long as you aren’t trying to torrent for profit, you won’t have any legal problems in Hungary.
The government has tried to censor some content. But this is usually involved with websites that are trying to deny the Holocaust. They have also ordered ISPs to block access to gambling sites. Many other sites, though, are allowed to be freely accessed. It’s estimated that their internet is among the freest in the world, with very few restrictions placed on what citizens can watch.
Plus, Hungary has some of the fastest internet speeds in the world, rating just behind the United States. So, you shouldn’t have to wait too long for pages to load.
Why Do You Need a VPN When Torrenting?
Let’s start by briefly looking at some of the reasons why you need to use a VPN in the first place. There are several benefits that a VPN can unlock. These include:
- Getting past content blocks. It’s common for your ISP to block some sites, particularly those involved in copyrighted materials. For example, you might not be able to access Pirate Bay. Using a VPN server will allow you to get around these restrictions.
- Privacy. When you are browsing without the protection of a VPN, your ISP will be able to keep track of every search you make. They can be compelled to hand this information over to the authorities. When you use a VPN, you will be masking your activities, encrypting your data.
- Better streaming speeds. If you are a regular user of streaming services you might notice sudden drops in streaming quality. This is often linked to throttling from your ISP, so they can better cope with demand for their services. By using a VPN, you will be able to get around these restrictions.
Tips to Choose the Right Servers When Torrenting
There are plenty of servers you can use that allow for private browsing and limited censorship of your activities. Here are some of the tips you can use to find the right one for you:
- Internet speeds. While secure browsing in a torrent-friendly country is important, you should also think about how fast your internet will be. As a general rule, the best way to get good speed is by picking a server that is close to your geographical location.
- Enforcement of laws. There are many countries where the torrenting of copyrighted material is, technically, illegal. But it’s rarer to find places where the government will actively pursue people accessing this material. Places like The United States, Germany, and France have the strictest laws. Because of these server locations should be avoided.
- International agreements. It’s worth doing a little research to see whether they are part of an international agreement, like the EU or 14 Eyes. These groups will often share data on what individuals are doing online. This can be used to track down people, even if they are using a VPN to conceal their identity.
- Privacy agreements. Consider what measures have been put in place to protect your data. Some countries, like Malaysia, will ban the transfer of personal data outside of their borders. This will add an extra layer of security, making it easier to obscure your movements online.
- Availability of websites. You’ll need to find a country that will allow you to access sites. Sometimes, the most notorious sites, like Pirate Bay, will be blocked. If this is the case, just hop onto a different server and try again.
Choosing the right country is often a good first step. But you should also make sure that you are picking a good VPN. Some will have a greater focus on privacy than others. You need to make sure that you are encrypting your data, otherwise, your ISP might still be able to see what you are doing. This is especially important in a country where torrenting is illegal.
Using a VPN is essential when you are torrenting. It will add an extra layer of privacy, helping protect you from hackers and prying government eyes. Though there are plenty of servers for you to choose from, you should try to pick one where torrenting will be legal. If you do this, you will be able to torrent without fear of legal retribution.