Keeping your child safe online nowadays seems so difficult because there are many things that you have to check. Back then when iPads and tablets don’t exist yet, we do not need to worry about anything regarding personal information and online security. Today, in just one click a life of a person can be put in danger with social media and different apps that we use every day. While the Internet can be a way of information, educational learning and fun tool that we can use to teach our children the right things that should be done, it can also cause major disadvantages without proper use and carelessness. The next thing that you should do is to look for reference about internet safety for kids. One way to keep you and your child’s personal information is by using a vpn service but aside from that there are also practical ways on how you can stay secured with your child browsing the Internet.
We have a list of 10 tips on how you can keep your child safe online for your reference and ideas.
- Don’t talk to strangers. It is normal that in an offline world, we don’t want our children to talk to anyone they don’t really know. This can go same as in online world. Tell your children not to talk anyone they don’t really know so that you won’t need to worry about certain crimes that can happen with that stranger.
- Personal Information. Always tell them not to input personal information such as full name, address, email address, phone numbers, birth date and other information that can be taken away from them or might use to anyone of you in your household.
- What you post will last forever. Explain to them that once you posted something in the Internet, it will always be there no matter how you try to delete it. People who have seen what you post will always remember it.
- Safe Browsing. Let your kids surf from safe browsing search engine like safe search kids from Google which filters out inappropriate contents.
- Update Software. Always make sure that you have installed firewall, anti-virus software and VPN service in your child’s device so that they stay protected while browsing the Internet.
- Always keep an eye. Whenever your child is using the Internet, find a way and make sure that you always see what he or she is doing so that you can advise whether it is good or bad for him or her.
- Keep their social media’s setting private. Okay, let’s face it. Even kids at a young age wants to have a social media account and if you let them, make sure that you change its setting to private. Remember that your child is still a kid.
- Keep your passwords to yourself. Maybe you can have their passwords but tell them not to share their passwords to anyone even their classmates or playmates. Explain to them about how dangerous it is to share passwords.
- Positive online attitude. Teach your kids proper Internet etiquette. Explain what should be posted and not on the Internet. Tell them not to say or write anything bad that can cause other people feel bad about themselves.
- Check who’s online. Check people in your child’s social media accounts friend lists. They might be talking to someone who has a bad intention. Keep an eye and tell them not to talk to anyone they don’t know.
- Harmful emails. Always tell them not to open, not to click and don’t reply to emails sent by people they don’t really know.
These are just few of the things that you should do to keep your child safe online. With these tips, you can be sure that your personal information and online security is safe along with the best vpn service. If you want to keep your security online, start doing it at home with your child. Safer Internet Day 2016 was celebrated last February 9, with the goal of promoting Internet safety and positive use of online technology for the young people.